Financial Analyst/Senior Financial Analyst
Company & Employment Description:
Hersha Hotels & Resorts / Hersha Hospitality Trust (NYSE: HT) is a self-advised real estate investment trust in the hospitality sector, which owns and operates high-quality hotels in urban gateway markets and regional resort destinations. The Company’s 36 hotels totaling 5,802 rooms are located in gateway cities including New York, Washington, DC, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, and select markets on the West Coast.
Within Hersha, Financial Analysts are exposed to many facets of the hospitality and broader real estate industry, working closely across major disciplines including, but not limited to, asset management, acquisitions, corporate finance, investor relations and sustainability. The company prioritizes career development, gives associates ownership of projects, and allows associates strategic runway to impact stakeholders. The individual will have direct exposure to the executive management team and will be expected to interact with other REITs, brands, brokerage firms, private equity firms, and investment banks as appropriate.
All Hersha Financial Analyst roles are located in the company’s Philadelphia office.
- Assist the SVPs in asset managing a portfolio of hotels with the goal of optimizing asset value and achieving investment objectives.
- Work in collaboration with the hotels’ executive teams and above-property leaders to review performance and business plans, assess results, and suggest cost reduction/revenue enhancement initiatives.
- Analyze property income statements, conduct benchmarking analysis and prepare other analyses related to maximizing hotel performance.
- Collect market data and maintain database of all factors affecting markets and submarkets for each hotel and/or portfolio, including demographics and changes in supply and demand.
- Conduct research projects on industry trends and maintain relationships with research firms.
- Utilize Excel to develop financial analyses to assess the performance of the portfolio overall, key markets and specific assets.
- Assist the Investment Team in underwriting and evaluating hotel acquisition and development opportunities; make buy or hold recommendations on target properties.
- Assist with potential opportunistic disposition activity including information gathering, broker/investor interactions and creation of ad hoc analyses to help evaluate offers.
- Provide market research in our key urban markets as well as new strategic target markets to determine local supply characteristics and demand generators.
- Assist with the tracking of timelines and schedules, project coordination and maintaining financial models for acquisitions in pipeline.
- Assist team in preparation for Earnings calls through development of portfolio performance summaries, supplemental earnings release schedules, debt analysis, and supporting analyses. Assist in development of slide decks and analyses to support investor relations, including valuation of the portfolio on a public and private market basis.
- Assist with preparation of materials for quarterly and ad hoc board meetings, including slide decks summarizing hotel industry trends and outlook, key portfolio updates, acquisitions pipeline, and corporate strategy.
- Participate in on-site property reviews and market tours as appropriate. Some overnight travel may be required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in business, finance and/or hospitality.
- 1-3 years of experience in hospitality operations, real estate, and/or consulting either full time or in an internship capacity.
- Knowledge of or interest in the travel and lodging industry as well as investment principles. Experience in other aspects of lodging, hospitality and real estate finance is highly desirable.
- Qualified candidate must be able to analyze financial statements and related performance metrics, including hotel STR reports, balance sheets, and cash flow statements.
- Mastery of Excel and PowerPoint.
- Possess superior communication skills, oral and written. Analytical, self-motivated, well-organized, and results-driven professional. Ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong computer modeling and business writing skills.
Work Environment and Context
- Required to sit for extended periods, lift up to 10 pounds, bend, reach, use hands and fingers to operate keyboard.