Opportunity: Sous Chef
Assist the Executive Chef in the preparation of food and oversightof kitchen operations in accordance with established food quality, guest service and sustainability standards.
Potential Career Path
Executive Sous Chef–Chef–Executive Chef
Essential Job Functions
- Interview, select, train, schedule, coach and support associates, ensuring they perform in accordance with established brand or hotel standards and consistent with HHM core values.
- Oversee preparation and production of menus, development and execution of recipes.
- Manage kitchen operations and assigned staff.
- Ensure staff prepares menu items following recipes and yield guides, in accordance with department standards.
- Develop new menu items, test and create recipes.
- Trains, develops and evaluates personnel with regard to proper use of standard kitchen equipment and tools, techniques and skills.
- Supervise kitchen personnel to ensure that methods of cooking, garnishes and portion sizes are as prescribed.
- Manage budget, monitor costs and operating needs in keeping with overall containment of unnecessary expenditures.
- Direct and develop skills of the team to the achievement of department and area goals
- Evaluate all direct reports and conduct introductory period and annual performance reviews.
- Maintain an open door policy and address all team member issues and/or concerns in a timely manner.
- Conduct divisional/departmental staff meetings on a monthly basis.
- Follow sustainability guidelines and practices related to HHM’s EarthView program.
- Practice safe work habits, wear protective safety equipment and follow MSDS and OSHA standards.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
- Degree or certification from an accredited culinary program preferred.
- 3 years experience in a managerial position of an upscale and/or high volume foodservice establishment required.
Work Environment and Context
- Work schedule varies and will include working on holidays and weekends.
- Requires standing for extended periods, walking, pushing, lifting up to 50 pounds, bending and reaching, using fingers and hands, stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
Hersha Hospitality Management (HHM) is an industry-leading and growing hotel management, investment, and development firm that provides turn-key management solutions to hotels across the United States. HHM manages world class brands in the select service and full service markets as well as a collection of independent, boutique hotels in key markets.
Join the Legacy of Strength!
Hersha’s legacy is built upon a strong foundation of core values: honesty, communication, community, personal growth and achievement. Hersha’s rapid growth, focus on associate development and its commitment to serve our guests, our associates and the local communities we work in, combine to make Hersha associates the strongest in our industry.
Serve. Stretch. Succeed.
Hersha believes if you serve our guests, your fellow associates and our local community, stretch yourself on the job and take advantage of many promotional opportunities, you will ultimately achieve professional success. As we grow, you grow.